Degree and Diploma Recognition
Degree and Diploma Recognition
The recognition in Portugal of higher education degrees and diplomas awarded by foreign higher education institutions is regulated, since January 1st 2019, by Decree-Law no. 66/2018. This Decree-Law repeals the previous two regarding these issues, Decree-Law no. 283/83 and Decree-Law no. 341/2007.
The new Decree-Law standardizes the procedures for the recognition of foreign qualifications, making them more transparent, equitable and simple, introducing changes to the previous legal regimes by clarifying concepts, and widening the recognition to short cycle higher-education diplomas that have identical level, objectives and nature to Portuguese professional higher education technical courses. Simplified procedures are introduced, namely by establishing a system of precedence for the recognition of level, which guarantees a more automatic process for the decision, avoiding repetition, reducing costs and response times for recognition decisions.
There are three types of recognition in Portugal
What is it?
This form of recognition generically recognises a higher education foreign degree or diploma with identical level, objectives and nature to the Portuguese degrees of licenciado, mestre and doutor and the short cycle professional higher technical diplomas,that are included in the list of degrees and diplomas approved by the commission for the recognition of foreign degrees and diplomas.
To which Degrees/Diploma does this apply?
Verify here if it applies to your degree/diploma
Check this table
How and where can I request this recognition?
- Public Higher Education Institutions
- Directorate-General for Higher Education
Recognition is requested by the Degree/Diploma holder by completing this online form.
What documents are needed?
According to Article 4 (2) of Decree-Law no. 66/2018, applicants must present a document that unequivocally proves that the degree or diploma has been awarded.
- Copy of the Diploma or document issued by the foreign higher education institution proving the title of the degree or diploma for which recognition is required, authenticated by the competent authorities for this purpose;
- Simple copy of a document issued by a foreign higher education institution with a registration number of a degree or diploma in the case of foreign higher education institutions that have centralized registers that can be accessed through a unique identifier;
- Diploma or certificate issued by the foreign higher education institution, in original version, proving the title of the degree or diploma for which recognition is required.
The fee to be charged by the Directorate-General for Higher Education is € 27.30
How long does it take?
A maximum of 30 days after the full completion of all necessary steps for the application.
What is the procedure for the recognition of Doctor’s Degree awarded by the European University Institute of Florence?
According to Decree-Law 66/2018 academic degrees and diplomas awarded by the European University Institute of Florence are subject to automatic recognition.
This recognition should be requested as a normal Automatic Recognition
DECRETO-LEI N.º 66/2018 – APROVA O REGIME JURÍDICO DE RECONHECIMENTO DE GRAUS ACADÉMICOS E DIPLOMAS DE ENSINO SUPERIOR ATRIBUÍDOS POR INSTITUIÇÕES DE ENSINO SUPERIOR ESTRANGEIRAS
PORTARIA N.º 33/2019 – REGULA ASPETOS DA TRAMITAÇÃO PROCEDIMENTAL DO RECONHECIMENTO DE GRAUS ACADÉMICOS E DIPLOMAS ATRIBUÍDOS POR INSTITUIÇÕES DE ENSINO SUPERIOR ESTRANGEIRAS